In software testing and mobile testing fields, there are a wide range of various methodologies, techniques and principles. All of them have common goal – to make the checking procedure faster, better and more effective.
Context-driven testing or simply CDT is one of checking approaches which is widely applied in software testing company. This method was suggested by Cem Kaner, Brian Marick and other members of the context-driven school which was founded in 1999.
This particular approach presupposes to keep several ‘creeds’ which are fundamentals of the context-driven school.
What Are CDT Beliefs?
- Every working procedure brings some value which is reliant on context.
- The context may consist of several constituent parts. The main such element is a team of specialists who perform CDT.
- The direction of project development and its specific features cannot be exactly predicted.
- To find any solution, it is necessary to analyze the actual system under test (SUT).
- The best universal practices that are suitable for every case do not exist.
- Only challenges make the checking procedure effective.
The product success depends not only on the quality of testing services but also on the collaboration between all specialists engaged in the project realization. A smooth communication, long-term thinking and working, various aspects and peculiarities of specialists’ duties taken into account define the future of the product. This is the core idea of context-driven testing.
In general, this checking type can be defined as agile testing. This assumption may be valid because its core ideas resemble a lot the principles of Agile Manifesto. In other words, the recommendations of both are like analogous to each other.
A specialist will successfully conduct the CDT procedure if he keeps some recommendations. These tips will simplify the understanding of CDT concept and general idea as well as the checking procedure itself.
Context-Driven Testing Tips:
- The essential role is played by metrics. The invalid data brings no use and it is a real threat to the product success. The metrics should always be updated.
- Automated testing principles are not applicable for CDT. On one hand, this checking type simplifies the procedure and helps to save much time. But on the other hand, a human cannot be replaced by auto tests. Only a human being can make suggestions and presuppositions. Only manual testing is suitable in such a case.
- It is important to apply various testing methods. Each of them will help to detect certain defects which may be connected with the business aspects or with end-user experience.
Source by Helen Johnson